From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Cavanaugh
Sent: Friday, April 9, 2021 11:46 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Find On Page

That was a much more technical answer than I was looking for, but between
yours and Brian's, I think I understand. In the case of controls with no
actual text that NVDA has to extract, I completely understand where the NVDA
find could be useful. That being said though, is the fact that NVDA actually
uses a virtual cursor in browse mode the reason the control+F command never
works, even when searching for plain text? I doubt I'll ever find out for
sure, but Joseph, your programming knowledge may shed some light into how
System Access possibly worked when it comes to this issue. Because I used
that screen reader the most, it's where I have most of my experience finding
things, and control+F worked. I would imagine it had to have some form of
browse Vs. focus mode, but the end user never had to choose because every
time it encountered an input, particularly an edit field, it automatically
switched. That could be annoying at times as I had to tab out of an edit
field before I could navigate to the next one, but it also helped at times,
as there was one site I had to use when I was in school where both NVDA and
JAWS automatically went into focus mode upon logging in, which made
navigating by the quick keys I was used to impossible, but it wasn't an
issue at all with System Access.

I guess I need to go deeper into the layered design I mentioned in my
last reply (the best person to explain the browser side of things is
Marco Zehe from Mozilla Foundation):

To let NVDA navigate a website as though you are reading a document,
NVDA employs what’s called a “tree interceptor”. A tree interceptor is
a collection of elements that act like one large text area. Because a
tree interceptor is a collection of elements and texts coming from
these, it can include hundreds of different controls of varying roles
(straight text, form fields, links, frames, web apps, video players,
you name it). Using a tree to describe a complex control such as a web
document is quite an interesting approach – after all, graphical user
interface elements are organized like a tree or branches, with web
documents consisting of a collection of smaller elements (and this is
how HTML and ARIA coding is actually rendered on screen).

But tree interceptors are not enough. NVDA relies on three more
materials to create a completely functioning browse mode
implementation: virtual buffers, accessibility API’s, and a cursor
manager (there are other elements involved, but these three are
essential). Virtual buffers create building blocks for documents.
Accessibility API’s and standards such as IAccessible and ARIA (Accessible
Rich Internet Applications) enhance the “look and feel”
of a browse mode document. Finally, cursor managers provide commands
to move around the just created browse mode document.

The steps NVDA takes when creating a browse mode document are as follows:

1. You start a web browser. NVDA can then load appropriate support
modules
based on the browser you are using.
2. You open a new website.
3. When NVDA detects that a new page is open, NVDA will either use API’s
provided by the web browser to gather information about the just
opened document (typically UIA browse mode implementations in Chromium
Edge) or ask a DLL that ships with NVDA to gather info on the fly
(Firefox is a good example of this).
4. Whatever method is chosen, NVDA will read the document from top to
bottom, constructing NVDA objects to represent elements found in the
web document. At the same time, texts coming from these web elements
are gathered into a single browse mode document (tree interceptor in
some cases) to facilitate navigation, first letter commands, NVDA
find, elements list and a whole host of features.

As for NVDA find command, NVDA will search text of the browse mode
document (stored internally) and will place the cursor at the next
occurrence of the searched term.

P.S. Marco, if you are here, may I ask if you can shed some light on
browse mode/tree interceptor internals? I can speak of what NVDA does
at the high level.

Cheers,

Joseph