Re: [Solved] Activating the Mouse with NVDA

Sarah k Alawami

I have. I hate it. It was on a desktop in 2009 or so. I turned off desktop nav and used laptop layout as for me it is much much faster. My hands get tired easily so if I don't have to move them a lot, that is good. I can work longer hours doing what I love.

On 9 Apr 2021, at 9:54, Chris Smart wrote:

Gosh, you should try a full-size keyboard sometime.

On 2021-04-09 12:49 p.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Actually it's not knowledge for me. I don't use, and have never used a number pad so I just assumed that they were known as slash and dash. Not devide and minus. Same with star and times. I never actually had a sighted person draw them out with wiki sticks for me to feel. Or, maybe I did when I was little but I don't remember.

On 8 Apr 2021, at 15:56, Brian Vogel wrote:

Gene,

If someone wishes to write it this way, have at it.  But we're back to one of those things on which we're likely to never agree.  I believe that very common conventions, across many forms of documentation, for referring to number pad keys need to be known by "the average computer user."  It is no help to make documentation longer, and more complicated, assuming that this is not something commonly known, in my opinion.

Asterisk as the multiply operator and slash as the divide operator predate the PC, and have been in use in that way on many adding machines for decades now, particularly after the PC appeared.

Numpad multiply and numpad divide need to be understood under those terms, and I'd rather the rare person who doesn't already know them do what Mr. Russell did and ask.  There's nothing wrong with having a very occasional gap in common knowledge and asking to fill it in.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon