Re: [Solved] Activating the Mouse with NVDA

David Moore

I was totally blind in high school in the early '80s! I learned then, that the Slash and star keys Ment divide or multiply! I don't remember how, either someone told me, but I did a lot of calculations on in IBM PC in the middle 80s. I cannot imagine that a totally blind person could use a computer for any length of time and not know that! This concerns me a great deal! I have always had many sided friends, family, and others describing things for me! I believe that is the root problem here for so many blind individuals. They do not have enough sided people in their life describing and interacting with what they do as a blind person. I have cited friends who I have taught English one Braille to, alphabet and numbers, and they can use a slate and stylus. These friends are so interested in how I do things. I think we need to learn how a sided person sees, does, and how the sided persons experience is when they work with technology. It really helps me, I know that, to visualize in if I know how a screen of a phone looks to a sided person, it helps me so much to visualize that in my head. Caveat, though, I did have a little reading vision until I was 12. Maybe that is the entire difference for me, I don't know! I actually learned as a child how everything looked like in print! I wonder if that makes a difference right there! Take care guys, very interesting discussion.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021, 5:56 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I see no reason to believe I am unique.  I took a good training course, I
looked at screen-reader documentation in the late nineties when I was first
learning Windows, and I didn't have the slash and star keys described as
divide or multiply.  I learned it later, I don't recall how.  for all I
know, I may have learned it by using the key describer.  On what do you base
your contention or assumption that blind computer users generally know this?

All I said is that the keys be identified as both when discussing mouse
movement.  that is not unreasonable, given what I suspect is the experience
of a good many blind people.  If your impression is based on formerly
sighted people knowing this, that isn't a valid basis.  People who were
blind when they start learning about computers may well not have been taught
these numpad keys as mathematical functions.