Re: Find On Page

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 03:11 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
However, when searching for plain text on a webpage, wouldn't it make sense to use the browser's find command rather than the screen reader specific one?
-
Well, to me it doesn't simply because of the "irregular focus behavior" that occurs using the browser find.  You're not the only one who's experienced this.  What you get out of the screen reader find, regardless of screen reader, is generally more of "what you'd expect" when doing a find as far as focus goes.

That's why I strongly favor the screen reader find when using a screen reader, although I still always have clients turn on the feature that causes the focus on the actual screen to be highlighted based on what corresponds to it in the virtual cursor.  When you're used to seeing where you actually are on the page, it's very easy to become disoriented very quickly when there is no scrolling for the actual screen while you've traveled a long way away from what's currently got focus in the virtual cursor.  Under NVDA that's was the Focus Highlight Add-On now the Focus Highlight feature built into the screen reader itself.  Right now the terminology that JAWS uses for this functionality is escaping me.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon