Re: Find On Page

Luke Davis

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021, Joseph Lee wrote:

NVDA tries its best to avoid assigning app native commands to its own functions unless a feature the app command invokes is not working well
[.]
Because Control+F is a browser command, NVDA does not assign it to its own find command.
Which raises the obvious question: is the browser find command's search feature "working well" from NVDA's prospective?

Most people probably think it doesn't, because in browse mode it has no effect.

However in focus mode, it does, in fact, work as one would expect.

You therefore have options for searching in both browse mode and focus mode: browse mode using the NVDA feature invoked by NVDA+Control+F; and in focus mode by Control+F or NVDA+Control+F.

Further, since in focus mode, the NVDA+control+F command actually invokes Control+F (I.E. the NVDA aspect is ignored), you can just learn the one command--NVDA+Control+F--and you will get the correct behavior in either mode.

I have never had cause to search in focus mode, but I can imagine circumstances where it's necessary.

Now, all that said, I think NVDA's insistence in not overriding the browser command in this circumstance is a bit pedantic.

The browser find command does not have any meaningful effect in browse mode.
Therefore, it is not "working well", as Joseph says.
Furthermore, browse mode is an NVDA layer over the browser, that is not browser native. However it looks browser native as far as most users are concerned.
The more user friendly option here would be to provide Control+F as the find feature invocation in browse mode. We see on this list, in this discussion and others, how much confusion it causes; and since browse mode is its own, non-browser, layer over the page, we wouldn't really be overriding the browser's command, which is only effective in focus mode.

Fortunately, this is not hard to remap in input gestures, if you are so inclined.

But that's just one user's opinion, and differs from my usual "learn the right way" thought process.

Luke