Re: [Solved] Activating the Mouse with NVDA

Gene

The user should know something about the virtual pc cursor or browse mode, as NVDA calls it. If they don't, they won't know why you switch browse mode off for certain reasons and then on again. They won't know that the web page, as they experience it may not be laid out the same way as a sighted person sees it and won't be able to translate what a sighted person tells them to where something might be on the page. They won't understand that at times, if you turhn off browse mode, you may see a control that, for some reason, you won't if it is on and even if they know that, they won't understand why. They should know that quick navigation commands are used in browse mode and that they are not a part of a sighted person browsing the web.

An exhaustive technical knowledge of browse mode isn't necessary. You do need to know that you are using a cursor that doesn't exist on the web page and a sighted person doesn't see one. You should know the things I stated above if you are a serious Internet user.

From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 1:04 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] [Solved] Activating the Mouse with NVDA

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 10:28 PM, tim wrote:
And yes, in college your are expected to know some stuff. They don't spoon feed.-
And the issue of spoon-feeding aside, as I don't think that's exactly what's being asked for here, there is, as I have asserted earlier, every reason for software developers for Windows, in the year 2021, to believe that they do not and should not have to discuss certain Windows basics as part of their training manuals and certain terminology, either.

People can, and will, occasionally have gaps in their knowledge. I have gaps in my knowledge. I had to get a lot of instruction on the concept of the virtual cursor when I first started working with screen readers. But I don't expect that the documentation on how to use a screen reader is likely even to discuss the virtual cursor because it's an "under the hood" feature that the end user really has no need to know much about in "daily driving" with a screen reader.

If something is unfamiliar in a given piece of documentation then the appropriate course of action is to ask about it. Sometimes, and only sometimes, it is absolutely apropriate to update the documentation. Others it's appropriate to leave it be because the majority of readers will know the terminology already, or ask about it once. That's why it's always handy to have a section dedicated to standard notation in a given piece of documentation as abbreviations often get used, e.g., NVDA+{whatever}, where NVDA in that context could be either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on the keyboard layout. But I don't want, "NVDA+N (INSERT+N for desktop, CAPS LOCK+N for laptop keyboard layouts, respectively)" everywhere NVDA+N is used. There is every reason that the reader of something like the NVDA User Guide should have probably either reviewed, or will look up, the concept of the NVDA key when they're unfamiliar with that notation.

You cannot and should not presume "blank slates" when writing documentation because it then becomes an ever expanding task when you cannot make reasonable base assumptions about the skill sets of individuals coming to that documentation.

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon