locked Re: New NVDA user who's looking for Eloquence

Quentin Christensen

Discussion of the illegal add-on is not allowed on the list, and I would suggest Chris, that also goes for chatter about emailing each other offlist about distributing it...

What I would say on-list though is that there are several very good reasons why you should consider NOT using the illegal add-on:

- It's not legal.  Nuance own the right to Eloquence and they can set the price for it.  They have decided to charge a per-license fee for it.  For those who purchase Jaws, part of the cost of Jaws goes towards that fee.  For those who use NVDA who would like Eloquence, you can purchase it through CodeFactory.  If you don't like the cost, then use OneCore or eSpeak-NG or find another cheap or free synth (and if you do, please let me know about it, so we can include it on the Extra Voices page: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/ExtraVoices )

- It's not supported and not stable. Even if you're willing to steal software, the fact the illegal add-on invariably causes stability and performance issues is a very compelling reason not to use it.

As noted in the first point, do please check out https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/ExtraVoices for a list of additional voices (both commercial and free) you might consider using with NVDA.  And if you do find something else which isn't listed on there, please do let us know so we can add it there and others can find it too.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 1:23 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
If no one paid for it, its an illegal version.