From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Cavanaugh
Sent: 09 April 2021 20:11
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Find On Page

This in principal makes sense. However, when searching for plain text on a webpage, wouldn't it make sense to use the browser's find command rather than the screen reader specific one?

NVDA tries its best to avoid assigning app native commands to its own
functions unless a feature the app command invokes is not working well
(Excel's cell comment (F2) command is a good example of this exception
where Excel's own cell comments dialog isn't quite useful). Because
Control+F is a browser command, NVDA does not assign it to its own
find command. At first, this may seem counterintuitive, but when you
consider the fact that you must learn app commands in addition to screen reader commands, it makes sense:
let NVDA do its best at what it does, and let apps do what they do the
best (this principle is sometimes called "separation of concerns").
P.S. Although not really related to the immediate concern, when I
write app modules and need to create commands for NVDA users, I do my
best to avoid app native keyboard shortcuts.
Cheers,
Joseph