Re: PDF: Alternate Text and Description of tables

Sandra Pilz

Hi Ben,

Thanks for checking this for me.

However, I do have the accessibility tags option checked. I have updated both Office and Acrobat Reader DC. I am also using Office 365

I have now opened the exported PDF in Word again to see if word would still show the alt text and the table description. It didn't. It didn't even show the heading of the document, this is the main heading not a header of the table. However, the heading was present in Acrobat Reader, so I don't really understand what's going on here...

Do you have any idea what else I might check?

Thank you.

Regards

Sandra

Am 16.04.2021 um 22:37 schrieb benmoxey@...:

Hi Sandra

I just tested this and the alt text title and long description for the table are present in the PDF.

In the export options, ensure “Document structure tags for accessibility” is checked. Note that I am using Microsoft 365, so the tags added to the PDF may have been enhanced since 2016.

Regarding the long description, if this information is essential for the user to understand the table’s contents, I recommend including it in the main body of the document, above the table. Many screen reader users will not know how to access the long description, so this approach ensures the information is easy to find.

Cheers

Ben