Re: [Solved] Synth ring not working

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 06:00 PM, Janet Brandly wrote:
I forgot that I still have to use the laptop keyboard layout even though I am using an external full keyboard.
-
And a big SECONDED!! of Luke's observation that you absolutely do not have to use the laptop keyboard layout unless you are using a laptop directly, and that laptop has a keyboard that does not have the built-in number pad (which is relatively few of them, but they do exist).  If you have one of those, but have an external full sized keyboard connected, and wish to use desktop layout instead, all you need to do is tweak your NVDA configuration.

If your laptop with "compact keyboard" is not ever being used as an actual laptop when out of wherever you usually use it, and is effectively non-mobile, then if you're using an external full-sized keyboard it's perfectly safe to change your layout to desktop.  The problem would come in when you unplug that external keyboard and were to try to use the laptop without it, and forgot to switch back to laptop layout before doing so.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon