Re: NVDA not reading collumn headings in Excel tables

Quentin Christensen

Sorry, those keystrokes should be NVDA+shift+c and NVDA+shift+r (shift not control as I originally wrote).

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 5:08 PM Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
Hi Lars,

Press NVDA+control+c to mark the start of column headings (if you set this in column A, then all cells in that row are treated as headings, if you set this in column F then only F1 onward are treated as headings.

Press NVDA+control+r to mark the start of row headings (again from the current onwards).

This isn't triggered by setting a "table" in Excel, although I can see the logic in your thinking.  The trick would be working out when you wanted column headings and / or row headings read out?  By default Excel sets up the table with a heading row, but you can go into the table settings to change that, which would be tricky to monitor for I expect.

In any case, if you think it would be a very useful feature, do feel free to create an issue on GitHub: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/new/choose

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 11:44 PM Lars Holm Sørensen <lhs@...> wrote:

Hi all

When I create tables, e.g. with “Ctrl + t” in Excel and mark that the table has column headings, I would expect that NVDA should read these column headings when navigating the table. Yet my NVDA just read the cell content and not the column headings. For the same table my Jaws do read the column headings when navigating horizontal in the table.

Am my expectation wrong, when I expect NVDA to read the column headings or do I miss a setting somewhere?

BR:

Lars

Lars Holm Sørensen

Konsulent

Diversa Consult ApS

Diversa

Amager Strandvej 118D
2300 København S
Mobile: 25 21 17 41
Mail: lhs@diversa.dk

Få automatisk oplæsning af tekst på din hjemmeside. 7% betragter
sig selv som ordblinde. Det betyder at knap 400.000 personer i
Danmark har svært ved at læse teksten på din hjemmeside.
www.readspeaker.diversa.dk

Vær sociale med os     facebook  linkedin

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager