Re: OCR with NVDA

Bernd Dorer

Hi Quentin,

i tried to scan a pdf in full screen mode and the results wit windows 10 OCR were really bad while ocr with tesserract were really good. In my point of view the OCR addon should updated with a new versio of tesserract.
I asked the Author which is busy at the moment.

best regards

Bernd

Am 05.05.2021 um 01:54 schrieb Quentin Christensen:

NVDA will work on scanned PDFs, although with the caveat noted earlier about the amount visible on screen.

I believe, Jaws has a commercial OCR engine, and just like Eloquence, the cost of that is part of what you pay for Jaws.  If you would like the same for NVDA, purchasing something like Abbyy FineReader will give you more OCR functionality using NVDA.

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 3:39 AM David Kingsbury <davidkingsbury77@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I was trying to recognize a scanned PDF. JAWS Convenient OCR does this very nicely, but after first saying “empty document.” Sounds like the NVDA OCR will not work on scanned PDFs if they start out as empty documents. Is this correct?

David

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager