Re: Focus keeps shifting in NVDA

hi brian.
Now, after all of the above, you can use Device Manager to disable a
mousepad/touchpad, and it will remain off between boots on most
systems until you use Device Manager to enable it again:
1. Open Device Manager
2. Expand the Mice and other pointing devices entry.  Under which you
should find your touchpad.  In my case, that is Synaptics SMBus
TouchPad.
3. Select your TouchPad device.
4. Bring up the context menu and see if you have a Disable option.
Mine does not, because it can be disabled by its own control software.
I have seen some that are able to be disabled.  If you've got a
disable option, activate it.  It should now stay disabled until and
unless you were to repeat this process and choose Enable from the same
context menu.
i did your instruction, its very great step by step for us to learn
how we can do our goals.
but unfortunately i dont have disable option for my mouse in device manager.
i have only uninstall and update driver and properties in the device
manager context menu for my mouse.
i should press fn plus f7 everytime that i turn on my laptop.
is there any easier way to disable the mouse without need to press fn
plus f7 everytime?
thanks and God bless you!

Luke,

First, before I get into how to completely disable the mousepad, including
its left and right click buttons, on any laptop let me restate my opinion:
DON'T do it!! It makes a lot more sense to mask the actual area that moves
the mouse with a thin piece of cardboard (e.g., the back of a notepad or
single or doubled over index card) so that the mouse pointer cannot be moved
but you have access to the actual left and right click buttons, which are
far more reliable when those are called for than any screen reader's
emulation is. At least if those are hard buttons, the mousepads that use a
thin area at the bottom left and right sides that act like those buttons
when touched are problematic.

One should always check the mousepad/touchpad controls in Control Panel. In
the case of the laptop I'm using, an HP 15 series, that item is Synaptics
TouchPad, to determine whether your touchpad supports toggling it on/off as
part of its own controls. I cannot possibly say where these would be
located across brands. It requires looking at the settings to find it.
Some do, some don't. In the case of many Synaptics TouchPads, there is a
setting under Tapping Settings entitled, TouchPad Disable Zone Settings
which, if turned on via its checkbox, makes a double tap at the top left
corner of the TouchPad toggle it on or off. If that checkbox is checked, a
secondary set of radio buttons with the grouping entitled, Top Left Action,
becomes accessible, with the two radio button choices then being Switch
TouchPad off for one session or Switch TouchPad off. I have to believe
"session" in this context means "until restarted" while the just plain off
will stay off, even after reboot, unless one were to intentionally double
tap the upper left corner of the TouchPad.

In addition, if I open Mouse Properties from Control Panel, many laptops
have a checkbox available to Disable internal pointing device when external
USB pointing device is attached. I've seen many people use this, with the
dongle for a keyboard-mouse combo, to use the external keyboard but also
disable the mousepad at the same time whether the wireless mouse is actually
powered on or not. I've also seen people use this and just attach a USB
mouse, then placed "out of the way" as a way to temporarily disable the
TouchPad, but such that a mouse for someone sighted is available or that it
can be unplugged to allow an assistant access to the mousepad.

Now, after all of the above, you can use Device Manager to disable a
mousepad/touchpad, and it will remain off between boots on most systems
until you use Device Manager to enable it again:

1. Open Device Manager
2. Expand the Mice and other pointing devices entry. Under which you should
find your touchpad. In my case, that is Synaptics SMBus TouchPad.
3. Select your TouchPad device.
4. Bring up the context menu and see if you have a Disable option. Mine
does not, because it can be disabled by its own control software. I have
seen some that are able to be disabled. If you've got a disable option,
activate it. It should now stay disabled until and unless you were to
repeat this process and choose Enable from the same context menu.

I personally prefer either masking the touchpad or using the option to
disable it when an external pointing device is connected. It's way easier
to reverse.

By the way, if you're worried about the external mouse possibly being bumped
or moved, it's a simple matter to make what I call "a hobbled mouse" or "a
treated mouse" where you tape over the laser port on the bottom which is
what detects movement over a surface. When that's taped over, the mouse
will not recognize that it's being moved, but the left and right click
buttons (and scroll wheel, if it has one) remain available for use.

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless
you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens