Re: a couple questions sparked by recent topics

Hi,
OneCore voices' lineage can be sort of traced to now discontinued Windows 10
Mobile, as the mobile voices are really meant for smartphones and used more
modern API called Windows Runtime, nowadays part of Universal Windows
Platform (UWP). Believe it or not, because UWP is a different API,
developers must write code that will interface with it, including ones used
to interact with OneCore voices. There is a special version of C++ called
C++/CX (extensions) that was specifically designed to let C++ modules such
as ones that come with NVDA to use UWP, but that's slowly changing (in fact,
NVDA's OneCore voices support is divided into two parts: the usual
Python-based synthesizer driver, and a C++ component used to talk to Windows
10 API's and features via C++/CX).
Recently a code contributor (not I) was researching regular C++ projections
for UWP (a projection is a set of components used to let programmers
familiar with various languages to talk to a specific API) called C++/WinRT
that will allow any C++ programmer familiar with recent C++ standard to use
UWP without using proprietary extensions or a programming language. The
biggest advantage for NVDA project is making C++-based contributions
significantly easier, as anyone wishing to support Windows 10 features
through UWP can now just use C++ that they have known - all that is needed
is a more recent Windows 10 SDK and a header file. In context of this
thread, this means OneCore voices and their features support can be coded in
familiar C++ (I guess this gives me a motivation to revisit my own C++ notes
from a decade ago...).
Cheers,
Joseph