Re: Using gmail with "Basic HTML view" vs. "standard view"

Justin Harford

Hello everyone I have been using Gmail with standard view now for more than 5 years, pretty much since I started working in nonprofit in 2014. So I guess that makes it longer. I think standard view works much better than basic HTML, but I have been tricked by the fact that when you go into a new inbox key commands are not automatically activated. Nimer great tips.

If you have had Gmail for very long, you probably have more than 10,000 messages in your inbox, and would probably never want to jump all the way to the end. But those were great tips for jumping to the end of the current view. Another one I just discovered is to press g then n or g then p  to view older or newer messages. I would encourage everyone to also take a look at the search feature. Press / and it automatically takes you to the edit bar. Press tab a couple times and enter on the advanced search button. I use this frequently.

I'm using latest NVDA with latest Google Chrome on Windows 10.

Best regards
Justin Harford (he/him/his)
Program Coordinator (NCDE)
Mobility International USA (MIUSA)
132 E Broadway Suite 343
Eugene OR 97401
541-343-1284 ext 1014 (voice)
jharford@... (email)

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 3:38 PM Pauline Smith <paulinesmithh@...> wrote:
I also use the Basic HTML view in my Gmail account.  This was the setting recommended on the website.  I will read the responses to gather tips on how to navigate with NVDA if using Standard View.

Pauline

On 5/5/2021 4:28 PM, Louise Pfau wrote:
Hi.  I find it easier to navigate the gmail interface with “Basic HTML view” vs. “Standard view”.  This is probably due to the fact that when I was first taught how to set up and work with my gmail account, I was instructed to use “Basic HTML view” in order to get the most accessible interface. I know this is not strictly related to NVDA though.

Louise