Re: Navigation Pane

Gene

Even if this works, and I never tried it, enter should still be used as originally described.  Not using enter and just pressing escape introduces needless possible confusion.  It is important for people to clearly understand the difference between the initial search command and the find next and previous occurrences commands.  The logical way to use search is to press enter after typing the search string and moving to the first occurrence.  In many programs, this must be done.  Things should be kept consistent and uniform if possible.  I wouldn't want to have to explain to people that you don't have to press enter in Word but you do in your browser or in Notepad or in wordpad, etc.  This is one unnecessary and needless inconsistency.  It doesn't even save a keystroke.  Instead of pressing enter, you press page down one more time so the number of keystrokes remains the same.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2016 5:06 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Navigation Pane

Bingo, Chris!

My colleague Ronan McGuirk’ and I have just discovered this same routine and I am about to post it to the list. I have just one stroke different from you: I would suggest that the user not press enter after typing in the search word in the Navigation window but press escape after completing the typing, just as you advised. That will leave the user at the point in the document where they started. The first time they press CTRL-PageDown they will hear the full line of text where the key word is located. I found that after I press enter  I only hear the keyword itself.  Would you do me a favour and let me know what you think of the procedure which I describe in my next email, please? I would rather have it complete and agreed by experienced users as I am passing it on to some children who are learning the technique.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader for free now!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Mullins
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2016 8:22 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I used Word a lot when I was working and have never used a list of occurrence of my search criteria.  This is how I used it.

I don't know if this is true of later versions of Word but works in Word 2007 and prior.  Use Ctrl+f to invoke search dialog, type in search criteria and press enter.  This will find first instance forward of current document position.  Press escape to dismiss search dialog, then use Ctrl+pagedown to search  forwards, ctrl+PageUp to search backwards through the document.  Search will ask if you want to wrap around when top/bottom is reached.   .   

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: 11 September 2016 13:28
To:
nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi,

I am really struggling to find a good description of how to use the Navigation Pane in Word 2010 with NVDA or, indeed,  any screen reader!

Could anyone point me to a good tutorial or even set out the steps that they use to move through the results of a word search after pressing control-f in Word 2010, please?

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.