Re: NVDA running on a budget laptop

Hi,

ReadyBoost (introduced with Windows Vista) acts as a fast cache stored on external drives (usually flash drives). It mostly benefits systems equipped with mechanical hard disks as their response times are not that great compared to SSD’s. These days, ReadyBoost lost much of its merit thanks to widespread use of SSD’s and optimizations made by operating system vendors such as Microsoft to tune their systems to make better use of SSD’s.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 11:31 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA running on a budget laptop

Here is an interesting article about Ready Boost.  I don’t know what you had installed but it is a part of Windows.

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 1:19 PM

Had a friend install it for me.
He found it on the web,,  not as part of windows any version.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Greg Epley
Sent: May 16, 2021 8:12 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Others correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "ReadyBoost" is a Microsoft Windows feature, so it's just part of Windows. As far as the trick working, however, I've tried it on two laptops, but am told they are each already running as fast as they can. Basically that "ReadyBoost" won't help performance. So, using ReadyBoost is NOT a given performance booster available to anyone and everyone. Also, sorry that all my posts have been "echoing", but for whatever strange reason, Mozilla Thunderbird has "Reply to List" ghosted, and I couldn't even get the "Reply to Group" send mail link to do a darned thing when I clicked it, so I am hoping this makes it to the list, though it's doing so without quoting the original message given the crazy way I had to trigger any reply whatsoever.

-Greg Epley

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.