Re: NVDA running on a budget laptop

enes sarıbaş

What you don't realize though is that causes CPU lag,  and throttling, which lags synthesizers when combined with other applications, such as browsers. Even antiviruses don't use that much processing power with realtime protection. This is very much so with synthesizers like eloquence. That is why it makes sense to bvuy the most powerful specs that budget allows to prevent this from occuring.

On 5/16/2021 7:03 PM, Gene wrote:
Six to ten percent out of one-hundred?  Hardly.

Gene
-----Orignal Message-----
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 6:57 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA running on a budget laptop

I'm sorry. 6-10% CPU power is alot of system resources.

On 5/16/2021 11:50 AM, Gene wrote:
Nothing I’ve seen convinces me that NVDA itself uses a lot of computing power.  nor have I seen this with screen-readers in general to the small extent I’ve checked.  Its using the newer synthesizers that uses a lot of computing ;power.  If you want to use the newer voices, I can’t comment on the minimum specifications to get good performance but in the old days, I had machines that today would be laughably underpowered, running Windows 95 and Windows 3.1 and Via Voice, very similar to Eloquence, ran well.  This was in a 166MHZ, not GHZ, Pentium machine and in an even older and less powerful machine running Windows 3.1.

As for NVDA using a lot of computing power, if I monitor use when I’m typing text with carachter echo on in the Windows Task manager, I get low numbers.  I just checked and while moving up and down the list in task manager, then pressing f5 to refresh the screen, I get a 6 percent CPU reading.  When typing in this e-mail message, alt tabbing immediately to the task manager and refreshing the screen, I get a 10 percent usage reading.

I’m not saying there won’t be variations, but those figures are close to what I generally get when I test doing these things.

And I haven’t seen complaints about the performance of NVDA from people using tablets.

Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 7:20 AM

I would do a minimum of 8gb of ram, and a current gen i5/r5. That is as low as you should go. Even with those specs, NVDA is heavy on CPU usage.

On 5/15/2021 7:36 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Personally, I would not even consider running Windows 10 with less than 8 GB of RAM.  Nor would I consider a Celeron processor, for anything, these days.

I'd invest a bit more for additional memory and a better processor.  You might also consider a refurbished business-class laptop, which can be had at very reasonable prices (or at least could prior to the pandemic - everything's getting more expensive as supply is constrained).
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

       ~ Richard M. Nixon