Re: words with no spaces on this web page?

Sarah k Alawami

To a sighted person, spaces do appear. I will probably email them and ask them to take the empty elements out and replace them with spaces. We will see what happens. I’m not sure why Firefox is rendering it correctly. But there you go. Could be something to do with electron?g

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Luke Davis <luke@...>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 12:59:40 AM
To: Nvda List <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] words with no spaces on this web page?

Sarah

In Firefox, the text on this page appears fine, whether clicking the
"resend invitation" link as others did, or not.
(I'm not sure why others thought they needed to click that? arrowing
down clearly shows the rest of the page to a screen reader.)

In Brave, however, I find exactly the behavior you describe, which makes
this either (1) a problem in Chromium based browsers; (2) a problem in
this page's CSS for Chromium based browsers (unlikely); or else (3) a
problem with NVDA's virtual buffer code for Chromium browsers.

Viewing source in Brave reveals that text formatted with spaces, yes, but
also with HTML commented out spaces, as well.
Here is what it looks like:

Thank<!-- --> <!-- -->you<!-- --> <!-- -->for<!-- --> <!-- -->your<!-- -->
<!-- -->interest<!-- --> <!-- -->in<!-- --> <!-- -->participating<!-- -->

I have no Godly idea why anyone would do that in an HTML document; it
can't serve any external formatting purpose. It may do something for
whatever writes their code, but you could ask them to cut it out.

I still don't know why this fools NVDA into thinking there are no spaces
at all, because there clearly are. I suspect the comments are confusing a
parser somewhere along the line.

Luke

  Sarah k