Re: words with no spaces on this web page?

Gene

Thinking about what I wrote in my quoted message below, why does NVDA browse mode not show blank lines where paragraphs occur?  This would make it unnecessary to turn off browse mode to correctly copy text.  And, since I would think most blind people don’t know this is a problem in the first place, my guess is that a lot of blind people routinely send incorrectly formatted text to sighted people.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 4:20 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] words with no spaces on this web page?

When I send information to sighted people that is more than a few lines, such as an article or an excerpt of an article that is long enough to amount to something, I copy it with browse mode off.  If you check, you will see that no paragraph indications are present in the browse mode representation of a page.  You can down arrow through an article and you won’t see blank lines.  If you copy text with browse mode off, you will see blank lines where paragraphs occur. 

I’m not discussing this to be argumentative but it is important to know this.  Sighted people find it very difficult reading long blocs of text with no paragraph breaks.  For some reason, it is visually very difficult.  Also, you want to send text in a standard format and not appear as though you or your equipment is in some way deficient to a sighted reader.  the reader won’t know that the screen-reader is causing the problem.  All they will know is that they are being sent incorrectly formatted text.

In addition, as I said, in this specific instance, copying the text with browse mode off and pasting it into Notepad produces text with proper spacing. 

Gene
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 4:05 AM

When you are in browse mode, it copies from the browse mode buffer.  You need to have browse mode off to copy directly from the page.

Gene
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 3:20 AM

Actually, when I copied the example, I was in browse mode. So it copied straight from the website to the email.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Gene <gsasner@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 11:46:43 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

I just tried copying and pasting the text while in browse mode and there were no spaces.  I don’t know if this would be an accessibility problem.  If an incorrect carachter is being used, it may be but it may be that, whatever the case, NVDA should be made to recognize the carachter.  It may be used elsewhere.

Gene
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 1:41 AM

If you follow the resend confirmation link, you will see the page being discussed.  I’m saying this as a general comment to anyone.  Try things if they aren’t dangerous.  You may find the solution to problems or you may be able to do something you are attempting. 

In this case, I thought I might see some sort of registration but the page came up.  Either way, I didn’t think following the link would be dangerous. 

I saw the text with no spaces but if I turn off browse mode, select all and paste it to the clipboard and paste it into Notepad, the spaces are present.

Evidently, the site is using a nonstandard carachter for space which NVDA doesn’t recognize but which is recognized by the browser. 

Gene
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 11:14 PM
Subject: [nvda] words with no spaces on this web page?

Hello. You can access this web page  to see what I’m talking about. When I explore the page, I get words with no spaces, yet the sighted person sees words with spaces. I’ve been in touch with the expo guys, and they have been in touch with their developers who did this form and the site, and they suggested I use chrome, that failed, and brave failed. Here is an example of what I’m seeing.

ThankyouforyourinterestinparticipatinginFlightSimExpoonSeptember24-26,2021inSanDiego,California.

The form where the radio buttons read correctly.  The section reading “In-Person Registration - All Weekend ($70.00)” reads correctly as well, but what should I tell them about what’s going on. Narrator shows each word as a separate element by the way.

Take care.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.