Re: Screen Reader Compatibility with Third Party Website(s)

Hope Williamson

As an example, I currently run NVDA, JAWS, and have used narrator in crash situations. As for browsers, I have Chrome, Firefox, and Brave. Of course Edge is here, but I don't use it.

On 5/21/2021 11:51 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
David,

           I don't know of a single person who doesn't have a preferred screen reader and a preferred browser, and who uses each of these things, separately and together, almost all the time.

           At the same time, I don't know of a single person who has not experienced either a website that doesn't "play nice" with their preffered screen reader (no matter the browser) or have an occasion where a web site just works much better under one browser or another regardless of the screen reader.  Thus, if you want to save yourself a lot of grief, you have a minimum of two screen readers and two browsers, so that on the odd occasion where one or the other is "being cranky" you can mix and match to get over the bump and to know which of the two is "the cranky party."

            In any version of Windows, you can pretty much count on whatever Microsoft ships with it being supported by any major screen reader maker for the PC platform.  Edge is just another of many Chromium-based browsers, all of which have good reputations and have proven themselves robust and as safe as can reasonably be expected.

             Your own description of what went down with regard to Narrator versus NVDA and a specific website is the textbook example of why knowledge of at least two screen readers, even if proficiency with one of those two falls into the "I can just get by for very typical stuff" level, and two browsers is necessary.  If you stick with any two of the Chromium-based browsers the things you already know from one will transfer directly over to the other.  (There are a few exceptions with regard to Edge, as Microsoft decided to keep certain terminology they've always liked, e.g., Favorites rather than the otherwise ubiquitous Bookmarks, and the commands sometimes differ a bit as a result.  But those are few compared to what is shared between any two Chromium-based browsers.)

       ~ Richard M. Nixon