Re: NVDA Satisfaction Survey 2021

Quentin Christensen

Yes that's basically it - the third question,  “Is the use primarily for Accessibility testing?” , is essentially meant to distinguish those who use NVDA primarily as end-users from those who probably aren't end-users and use NVDA primarily for accessibility testing.  Or in other words, so we can find out how highly end users rate NVDA as being useful in meeting their needs, and how highly it gets rated by non-end user developers and testers in meeting how they use it.

Of course there will be a fair bit of overlap and quite a large proportion of end users will say that even just relying on NVDA means you spend an amount of time doing the testing and documenting of issues which developers may not have done.  I guess the intent then is in that word "primarily" - if you are an end-user, then yes we know you likely provide feedback to us and others to help make products better - and we very much appreciate that, but your experience will still be different to those who are sighted web developers and only use NVDA occasionally to test changes to a site for instance.

So, that question particularly may not be perfect, but we went for simplicity originally (and consistency this year in keeping the same wording).  If you're unsure, go with your gut instinct :)

Quentin.

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 3:23 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 12:57 PM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:
“Is the use primarily for Accessibility testing?” Does an answer “yes” mean that the person does not use NVDA for purposes of accessing everything on the computer but only while testing the accessibility of apps?
-
Th at's how I've always taken that question.

I think it's meant to differentiate feedback from people like myself, who use NVDA for accessibility testing purposes, but who do not depend on it in any way or use it as our primary, or even secondary, method of gaining access to "all things on the PC."

I'll be curious to see if my interpretation, and it looks like yours as well, is congruent with what the people who posed the question were trying to get at.

My feedback, though not frequent nor in the depth that some give, cannot possibly be as comprehensive as what might come from someone using a screen reader as "a daily driver" could likely provide.  You all can and will hit certain things I'm highly unlikely to at random.

      ~ Brian Vogel

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager