Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 8:27 AM
Subject: [nvda] RE History with Jarte and NVDA

Hello NVDA Group,

To Gene, David, and others interested.

Gene, Jarte was a 'nimble' word processor said to be basic and not
have all the bells and whistles found on MS Word. I believe only
Jarte+ is available for free, or at its cost of under twenty-five US
dollars. Also, the plus version offers spelling error features via the
screen reader mode, and again mimics WordPad. That answers your
question of what I ant it to do for a significant savings: act like MS
Word for a savings of over 50 percent.

The issue of the product no longer being supported is concerning.
Should this raise 'flags' and what might those be?

To David, a friend suggested LibreOffice, too. I note from doing a
Google search, there were issues in 2019 with this program repeating
words, skipping text, and perhaps spellcheck. I did pick up on the
producers being passionate from what I read by them. As a writer, I am
reliant on software working well and together.  These past issues were
said to occur between LibreOffice and either Jaws or NVDA. If you can
allay my concerns to their existence, I will give LibreOffice strong
consideration as it is still active!
I have files on a thumb drive produced in the 2013 version of MS Word.
Jarte will read those. Can one expect the same from LibreOffice?

Excuse me for my wordiness, but I have found that two or more heads on
a matter may be better than one.. Thanks!

--
David C. Russell, Author