Re: NVDA and spell checker (Word 2013)

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi,

We recently discussed this very issue so I am attaching Quentin’s very clear description of using spell checker in Word. Note that this does not work in Outlook which only speaks the correction field as you describe.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader for free now!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2016 12:03 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading Spell Checker fields

When I press f7, the spell check pane ("Proofing toolbar") opens and the focus jumps to the "ignore" button.  To read the misspelled word I can press NVDA+num pad 4.

After the "Add" button, the focus moves to the first of the alternative words (if any).  The next two items are "Change" and "Change all" and press NVDA+num pad 6 past that change button, the review cursor moves to a text label with the currently chosen alternative word, followed by a button to have it spoken, then a dictionary explanation of the word.

Note if you are using laptop layout, replace:

NVDA+num pad 4 with NVDA+shift+left arrow

and

NVDA+num pad 6 with NVDA+shift+right arrow

I'm using Word 2016 (Office 365) and NVDA 2016.2.1

Kind regards

Quentin.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of babcockldpvi@...
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2016 2:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and spell checker (Word 2013)

Hello, 

I am trying to create a tutorial for a student about using the spell checker but what seems odd is that NVDA reads the suggested correction but does not read the original text. I am using Windows 10 and NVDA 2016.3.

Thanks, 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.