Re: Difficulty accessing links in confidential E-mails with NVDA

Gene

People should really make an issue about this sort of thing in some way with Microsoft.  Not being supported has nothing to do with this sort of thing.  You aren’t using the program in any way that means anything.  You are exporting the address book into a CSV file, then importing it into Thunderbird.  Yes, Windows Live Mail isn’t supported but this is a universal ability of e-mail programs, to export messages into a CSV file and there are times when people using Outlook can’t directly import from programs and the CSV method is used.  I consider this we don’t support it so you can’t export your address book sort of response to be indefensible.  In your case and who knows how many others, it means that you were thinking of using a program you didn’t want to use for no justifiable reason. 

Don’t believe what you hear from technical support staff in cases where you think there might be reason to doubt unless you have reason to do so.  Don’t just not believe it either.  Be skeptical and check in good lists. 

You can use Thunderbird if you wish.  I exported contacts from Windows Live Mail and imported them into Thunderbird as I described. 

However, I doubt the links problem has anything to do with a program not being supported and not being able to do something as it ages.  The same thing happens to me with certain links in a newsletter I get.  there are usually two links to a story and they are often evidently different since one causes this result and the other doesn’t.  I don’t recall if I tried this in Thunderbbird with such a link but I will.  It may work, but I doubt it.

Further, I wouldn’t change e-mail programs just because of a problem affecting this e-mail and not being a general problem. 

I don’t know about other people’s machines, but on my machine, it is so much faster for messages to be available as I move through the message list that I save perhaps two wasted seconds using Windows Live Mail per message. 

I’ll tell you how I get Windows Live Mail to be so efficient if you wish but that is beyond the scope of the current message.  I’ll just say that, using my method, I can read a message, or however much I want of one, move to the next message, and just about instantly after moving to it, begin reading it.  That’s why I keep using Windows Live mail.  I don’t want the annoyance of waiting for each message to open.  I get perhaps one-hundred fifty messages a day.  Aside from the annoyance, if I go through fifteen messages, I’ve wasted thirty seconds, one minute for thirty.  I’ll leave it as an exercise for the student to determine how much time is wasted when going through one-hundred fifty messages.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Difficulty accessing links in confidential E-mails with NVDA

I’ve tried to cover all of the points without quoting the whole message.  All right, I’m using Windows Live Mail 2012, but I thought we weren’t supposed to mention out-of-support software, nor am I having any other issues with it.  I’m using it with IMAP, because my ISP stopped using POP3 when they migrated their interface over to the Google platform.  I’m looking into using Thunderbird, but I was told that I couldn’t import my Windows Live Mail contacts and folders into it with the assistance of Microsoft Accessibility because Windows Live Mail was no longer supported and there was no function to do so.  They recommended I use Outlook and set up an Outlook E-mail, which I don’t need because I have an E-mail address from my ISP in addition to a gmail address.    I think I may have mentioned this in an earlier topic, although I don’t recall if there was a satisfactory resolution.  I don’t know why the links are indicating that they are opening with an invalid address (I’m accessing the links directly from within the E-mail message )in Internet Explorer when Edge is my default browser.

Thanks,

Louise

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.