Re: checklist to perform web accessibility test with NVDA

Having been a tester for both government and other organisations there is little to be accessible about.

Nvda will support firefox and chromium brousers in their pure form.

So chrome, edtge, firefox and waterfox up to 2020.08 will work.

Versions afterwards may have issues but yeah access wize thats not a problem.

Make sure you have latest updates to everything which is stable.

If you are testing a site on your beta copy of whatever, mmaybe you should revert or use a stable copy of everything unless you need to test a site with a beta of course.

Site wize, most things unless their have weird configurations will be probably ok.

From time to time you will encounter weird issues with databases but its not like they aren't hard to handle depending on the friendlyness of the owners.

It also depends how receptive the owners are to inaccessibility of things.

If anything nvda should be more accessible as far as sites go because you don't have to be concerned in most cases with scripts, drivers, graphics intercepts, extra display controler drivers, and everything else.

That doesn't mean you won't have a certain profile loaded for testing but its easier than jaws for example.

Generally jaws will work as long as the program you are working with has scripts for jaws else it just won't work because jaws needs scripts to function at all.

Nvda itself is 1 huge script run inside a python instance so its just there.

So most access depends on the site in question and shouldn't depend on the brouser generally or reader at least as far as nvda is concerned.

If you do use jaws with testing, then if it works with jaws its going to work with nvda.

Of course if your program you are testing uses things like universal speech or tolque then its just going to work with most readers by default supposedly.

Most things should work with firefox and chromium ports and since most stuff is written of those that should be fine.

If people don't want this to be a jaws bashing thing, we can call nvda windows 10 and jaws windows 98.

Windows 98 needed drivers for everything else it wouldn't work so jaws scripts are drivers in this case.

No drivers no work.

On 26/05/2021 8:02 pm, Luke Davis wrote:
Sascha Cowley via groups.io wrote:

      Can you explain how accessible with NVDA is different than just regular accessible?
I should have said "just regular screen reader accessible".

For one, there are many other accessibility issues than those encountered by screen-reader users, and screen-readers are not the only assistive technology
in use.
All of that is true. But the OP asked for a checklist specific to NVDA website accessibility.

You are starting at the very broad end of the question. The OP started at the extremely specific and narrow end of the question.

My contention is, that if you follow accessibility guidelines as a whole, and screen reader specific ones if you want, you will end up with a site that is accessible to NVDA, without ever having to have a checklist for specifically making it accessible for NVDA.

I doubt there is any NVDA specific accessibility checklist for websites, because there shouldn't be.
A site should be designed for accessibility. Screen reader accessibility, to be sure, but if you design it to be accessible to NVDA without making it generally screen reader accessible, you run the risk of overlooking general accessibility guidelines.
I don't think NVDA promotes that direction.

Second, as I'm sure you know, different screen-reader and browser combinations perform differently together on the same website.
Of course they do. But again, you should not design a website with that goal in mind, but with general accessibility to all screen readers in mind.
It can be done. The site might not perform ideally in all screen readers, but it can be made to perform adequately in all of them.

Luke