Re: Difficulty accessing links in confidential E-mails with NVDA

Gene

I should clarify one point:
In a previous message, I said I would discuss the probloem on the chat list.  That was before I got suggestive evidence that the problem may be an NVDA problem.  It is for that reason that I continued to discuss it here.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Difficulty accessing links in confidential E-mails with NVDA

I’ve found links in a newsletter I get that cause the address not valid message to come up in Internet Explorer even though it isn’t my default browser.

This may be an NVDA issue.  Perhaps this can nbe tested if I forward the newsletter to those who want to test.

On links where I get this message, the problem appears to be that browse mode isn’t lining up with the link properly.  I’m not sure how this might cause the problem if it is the cause.  moving with the up and down arrow keys to the link doesn’t solve the problem.  Using k doesn’t solve it.  But tabbing does, at least these things appear to be true in the very small amount of testing I’ve  done.  It appears to me that tabbing is the most reliable way to be sure you are on a link and that appears to be the case here.

I would be very curious to see if the person with the problem links in the confidential newsletter can successfully follow them if she tabs to the link she wants.

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 8:38 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Difficulty accessing links in confidential E-mails with NVDA

I won’t discuss this further on this list, though I will on the chat list if the subject is discussed there. 

I wanted to report something very interesting.  The newsletter I discussed appears to do a very odd thing:

In Windows Live Mail, there is a link that opens Internet Explorer with a bad address message.  The other links I tested all open in my default browser.
But when I test the same e-mail in thunderbirdd the title that was shown as a link and that leads to the incorrect address message being displayed in Internet explorer is not shown as a link.  it appears displayed as plain text.

I have no idea if this has relevance to your probloem but bbased on the previous discussion I would suggest trying a different e-mail program, forwarding the message to yourself, and seeing if the links work properly.  I have no idea what will happen.

Gene
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 8:06 PM

But isn’t it the case that outside of this newsletter, your default browser opens?  Mine almost always does.

Gene
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 3:53 PM

I am not using Outlook, but I’m using software that is no longer supported.  I didn’t mention that due to the out-of support rule.  I just tried again with another link, and got the message “Internet Explorer: Address not valid”.

Louise

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.