Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2021 7:37 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Updated Firefox to version 89, can no longer use w/NVDA

I'm not at all sure this has anything to do with the ;problem but Ron's comments about accessibility blocking may have something to do with it.  I had initially said that you would have to have no access to the program for that to be the case but I wonder if that is still true.

After seeing Ron's comments, I looked for the block accessibility setting that used to be in Firefox Advanced settings.  there is no Advanced settings category in Firefox any longer, at least  none I can find.  There are also no accessibility settings in the settings dialog.  I searched for accessibility in settings and got a no results message.  I looked in about:config and found nothing that looked like the block accessibility setting.  I wonder if it is there at all anymore.

However, according to a discussion  on the Superuser site, accessibility is disabled unless a screen-reader is detected to make the browser faster.  Could the problem be that for some people, the screen-reader isn't being detected or if it is, it isn't causing accessibility to turn on in the browser?  I have no idea.  But it is a question that may be relevant.

https://superuser.com/questions/1399221/how-can-i-turn-on-accessibility-features-in-firefox

Gene

On 6/3/2021 12:41 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

OK, I ran Firefox and I was immediately prompted to update. Since I am capable of using Edge and Chrome without any difficulty, I thought I would gamble and see what the falder all and fiddledeedee was all about. I let it update.  An odd thing happened, when I restarted the program preparatory to the update, the User Account Control came up and it was not too usable.  Usually,  I can read the prompts with NVDA and if necessary JAWS.  This time for some reason, it did not read.  I used the NVDA image recognition feature to see what it was saying. it was saying the some thing it usually does it turns out.  So I simply pressed alt + y and Firefox updated.  Then I was immediately presented with a dialogue that asked whether I wished to use the same configuration and display for Firefox as the defaults in Windows. I chose the radio button that said to do this. I clicked OK.  Then to test, I did not close Firefox.  I visited some familiar web pages and everything seemed OK.  Then I took the plunge and closed Firefox and reopened it. There was no problem.  Then I rebooted my system and ran Firefox again and everything was fine and still it.  I must think that this opening dialogue asking me what kind of display to use--something I never got before--must have something to do with the issues others are having.

FYI, I am using Firefox 89.0 with a Windows ten system with all updates, 64 bit with 6 core Intel processor with 12 GB RAM.

On 6/2/2021 3:20 PM, Chris via groups.io wrote:

Firefox automatically updates itself, Theres no way to stop it from doing so anymore