Re: Renaming File Extensions in Bulk

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 02:21 PM, Gene wrote:
If they are docx files, you shouldn’t change the extension.  Extension names mean something.  If you change an extension, a program may not interpret a file correctly.  Its like renaming wave files as mp3.  they are different formats. 
-
A big old, SECONDED!

I've seen bulk renaming used as a trick to allow certain files with extensions that can't be attached to email (e.g., EXE) be changed to something else, but the recipient knows they have to reverse the process on the other end.

I cannot fathom why anyone would want to change DOCX files to DOC files by extension change.  You need to open them and save them in DOC format, which is different than DOCX format.  Renaming RandomFile.docx to RandomFile.doc does not, in any way, shape, or form, make it "become" a true doc file, and anything trying to open it as though it were a true doc file is not going to be happy.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

~ Brian Vogel

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.