Re: OE Classic - Easy to use Outlook Express replacement

That is right though there have been moves in the add ons area to see if anything can be done, but it will need some work from the makers, and this is the sticking block.
I am however still using Outlook Express on 7 and 10 from the hacked version. What I am not totally sure about is whether its still out there. The issue is one of rights of course. If the files are supplied separately, then you can just use normal Outlook express but its quite a complex manual installation. So the person who wrote the patch made an installer using the original code and his code which made this easy. How legal that is, is debatable. In my logical mind assuming people have had xp before I see no harm in doing this as you basically have the code already. Microsoft seem not to like it however as when I installed the anniversary update to 10, it moved the hacked Outlook express so I could not get at my emails.
You would need to back them up and restore them afterwards, as it does still work on the new 10.
For those who wonder about it, yes the old bugs in Outlook express still exist. The main annoying one was and still is that using nvda, occasionally, Outlook express thinks its short of memory and behaves as if it cannot get at message bodies or open the email editor. What one has to do as with xp is the simply use taskill and restart the executable, which leaves you in the same identity and just restarts it
.
We never did get to the bottom of this in xp , and I believe it only affect people with multiple identities not just one or two.

I am quite happy to carry on using it as to me the new versions of mail that Microsoft have invented are far less convenient to use and all are worse for accessibility,
Live mail has that enormous tree view making keeping accounts separate a real pain and oh that awful address book and dodgy field for putting in email addresses. it also had a great talent for losing all folders and had to have the computer taken back to find them again.
The internet mail and news in 7 etc, was inaccessible, as indeed is the latest one in 10. Much harder to figure out even when you can see.

Thunderbird has much the same issues as live mail but is more reliable as long as you can cope with the strange hot keys and never update to the new version.
As for the smattering of other clients out there, most seem to be very old and have issues.
I personally quite liked the google on line email but these companies keep changing the design and keys making web based email a real pain in the neck if you use more than one provider, though the filtering can be a lot better than on a client.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-