Re: Problem with Weather Plus Addon

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 09:36 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
I never saw anything on the weather add on specifically.  That's why I posted my message.  I do agree that people should be specific as to what they are talking about.  this problem caused me to be confused and post an unnecessary message in the first place.
-
And this is a perfect example of how one problem, non-specific titles, can directly contribute to another, repeat topics within a very short time span.

Believe me when I say that I can understand, entirely, how a generic title can lead to the use of the delete key such that it's never even reviewed in the first place.  That's precisely the reason the group rules and monthly reminder state:  "The topic is the first (and, sometimes, only) thing a member sees and that may be how they decide if they’re going to look further.   Generic titles such as, “Weird Problem,” or “Help Me!,” are not helpful because they give no idea about what."

But the group continues to have frequent appearances of these three things in particular, that all need to stop:
1. Generic topic titles.   Everyone needs to be giving their topics a title that clearly tells what the issue is - front and center.
2. Repeats of the same topic on the same day or within 24-48 hours of another (and in this case one that had a non-generic title).  I understand that it's very easy to nuke a topic with a generic title and not read it, leading to this very issue.  But most often that's not what's occurring.
3. Repeats of the same answer response, hours to days after the first person who gave that response sent it.  Sometimes, and usually when a topic is new, several people will be typing out the same answer at almost the same time.  This happens, and it's not a problem that can be fixed, nor needs to be fixed, as it's not common.  But when the exact same answer is offered, again and again, hours to days after its first appearance, that clearly indicates that the time was not taken to read through the entirety of an ongoing topic before responding.  The group rules state the following for a very good reason:
Use threaded or conversation view in your e-mail client program or webmail and reading through the entirety of a topic before replying.  It gets you completely up to speed and avoids a lot of repetition.  If you choose not to use threaded/conversation view, please take the time to read through all messages from the group that are in your inbox prior to adding any reply to the group.

It is not unreasonable to expect that every member of this group can and will try their very best to adhere to the rules.  It's also not unreasonable that, when any one of them might happen to "step in it," that this particular lapse be used as a cautionary example by group administration.  It happens all the time and I'm not going to apologize for following what has been standard practice virtually everywhere I've ever been a part of list, group, or forum administration.  None of this is personal; it's how groups are very commonly run.  Whoever it may have been who had a lapse, whether accidental or intentional, should simply resolve not to repeat it.  Life goes on.

      ~ Brian Vogel