Re: Code factory Eloquence

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 12:29 PM, Gene wrote:
but I’d far rather be able to easily understand Eloquence at 350 words per minute.
-
And therein lies the problem as far as conflicts of interest in synthesized speech.  I've been around blind individuals, and you're clearly one of them, who can listen and comprehend at speech rates that I could never, ever, in a million years hope to understand.  And a lot of the older, more synthetic, voices were intentionally optimized to allow speeding up to rates that are absolutely insane for the vast majority of listeners, but they're great for the niche market that can understand at that rate.

The typical speaker of English speaks at between 120 and 130 words per minute in continuous speech, and professional speakers and those who record things for broadcast routinely get above that into the 150 to 160 WPM range.  But you go beyond that and, as far as actual human speakers, you're getting into "novelty act" ultra-fast speaker range.

The newer natural sounding voices appear to me to be focused on sounding, well, natural, which means that "maximum clarity zone" is going to top out at under 200 WPM in all probability.

It comes back to "tool to task."  I'll have to see if I can find any video/audio of an actual human trying for 300 WPM in continuous speech, but I doubt I'll find one.  I do know that there are a lot of "fast talker" videos out there, and they are really fast, but not likely 300 WPM fast.

      ~ Brian Vogel