Re: NVDA does not read the context menu in the Edge browser

Blake Roberts <BEarlRoberts@...>

I can confirm Mr.Sackrider's problem accessing the Microsoft Edge context menu with shift-f10. Summarizing my problem report submitted this morning to Microsoft (help, feedback): I'm running the latest update to Chromium-based Edge browser on Windows 10 version 21H1. The menu accessible with shift+f10 does not appear when I'm using Narrator or NVDA. It only comes up when I use JAWS screen reader.

Due to similar behavior with Narrator, this does not appear to be a NVDA-specific issue. Suggestion to the original poster: I suggest trying Google Chrome browser as an alternative to Edge.

Blake

On 6/18/2021 11:21 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
This may be an Edge error, or it could be an NVDA error.

I just tried this and while SHIFT+F10 definitely brings up the context menu when NVDA is running, focus does not shift to it, but remains on the page in Edge itself.  This is not the case when NVDA is off.  If I do SHIFT+F10 without NVDA running, and hit either up or down arrow, I am traversing the context menu.

It's not clear to me if this is an NVDA bug or an Edge bug.  But since you say you get the same misbehavior with Narrator, I suspect that something is not being exposed to the screen reader by Edge that should be that allows the screen reader to have focus set in the Context Menu when it appears.  I don't have JAWS on this machine, or I'd try a quick test with it.  I suspect the same issue would present itself, which would really point the finger at Edge (or something in Windows that Edge depends upon for context menu presentation).

      ~ Brian Vogel