Re: Websites that determine where NVDA starts at

Gene

I doubt it.  this sounds to me like  a misapplication of JAVA script.  when it is used properly to move to a position, it performs tasks like automatically place the user in the search field when on the google search page.  This sounds like some illogical behavior, dreamed up by who knows who for who knows what reason.

I wonder what the most efficient way is to deal with the problem.  Are there any add-ons for NVDA that allow you to specify a place on the page you can return to with one command?  it sounds as though you want to return to the edit field.

Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 8:47 AM
Subject: [nvda] Websites that determine where NVDA starts at

Hi all, I apologise for the rather clunky and undescriptive subject line!

I have found several websites shift the NVDA cursor to the website's privacy settings link when the page loads. I experience this most with the Sainsbury's supermarket website.  after I have searched for an item and added it to my basket, when I return to the search page, NVDA gets repositioned to the Heding 3 that is We value your privacy, which is right at the bottom of the webpage, with only the Cookie Settings links below it. Of course it's easy to press CTRL+Home to jump straight back up to the top of the webpage, but I find it a pain when I have to do it thirty times during the course of doing my weekly shop.

I can't remember off the top of my head, which other websites have this behaviour, but it is quite a few. Simple question ... is there any way to stop a website from doing this to NVDA, or any NVDA setting that can stop this happening?

I am using NVDA 2020.4 and it is happening with Firefox 89.0.1 and also in Chrome.

Thanks,

Giles