Re: Websites that determine where NVDA starts at

Chris

If this is happening on a lot of sites, it may be the EU’s GDPR cookie consent banner, where you have to either accept or reject cookies to be placed onto your browser, this is for all sites for countries in the EU, including the UK still

And it may be that this banner is taking focus after the browser refreshes

Other than that it appears that the Sainsburys website is working a it should

Sent: 20 June 2021 14:47
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Websites that determine where NVDA starts at

Hi all, I apologise for the rather clunky and undescriptive subject line!

I have found several websites shift the NVDA cursor to the website's privacy settings link when the page loads. I experience this most with the Sainsbury's supermarket website.  after I have searched for an item and added it to my basket, when I return to the search page, NVDA gets repositioned to the Heding 3 that is We value your privacy, which is right at the bottom of the webpage, with only the Cookie Settings links below it. Of course it's easy to press CTRL+Home to jump straight back up to the top of the webpage, but I find it a pain when I have to do it thirty times during the course of doing my weekly shop.

I can't remember off the top of my head, which other websites have this behaviour, but it is quite a few. Simple question ... is there any way to stop a website from doing this to NVDA, or any NVDA setting that can stop this happening?

I am using NVDA 2020.4 and it is happening with Firefox 89.0.1 and also in Chrome.

Thanks,

Giles

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.