In recent emails, I mentioned I had a Focus 40 Braille display and was wondering about inconsistencies with the Braille output. I've noticed a couple other things that didn't gel with my knowledge of Unified English Braille. Joseph told me NVDA was using an outdated version of the table, but since these things were present both when I first got the pamphlet about UEB in School in 2005 and in an overview I found via Google dated March 2013, I find myself a little confused.
1. Related to previously mentioned formatting inconsistencies. The italic terminator is used after a single word thus emphasised instead of the italic word indicator appearing before it. This is also true of bold and likely other such formatting.
2. "E-a" is not contracted in the middle of words. Neither is "cc". I know "dd" was removed but nothing was mentioned about "cc" and since it's in the middle of the cell, it should have been just fine.
3. And, For, Of, The and With are still presented as being next to each other with no spaces. This, as I recall and as the 2013 overview clearly states, was changed in UEB.
This is coming from someone who only got her Braille Display two weeks ago and who never looked at Braille-related emails before then due to the content not being relevant before aforementioned acquisition of a Braille Display, so if anything like this has been mentioned before, I apologise. Also, if there have been any changes to the UEB code since 2013 that I don't know about, I'd like a link.
I look forward to those working on the Braille side of things correcting these problems, if indeed some of them are problems, and although I hope it will be in the next update, I don't know the work that goes into such coding. I just thought I'd point them out in case nobody had as yet. My earlier point about emdashes and italicised passages has already been brought to Joseph's attention, so I needn't go over that again. :D