IMPORTANT NOTICE: Windows 10 App Essentials to be renamed to Windows App Essentials the day Windows 11 is released

Hello everyone,

The following information concerns Windows 10 App Essentials:

Today Microsoft announced Windows 11, the successor to Windows 10. A discussion about letting NVDA support Windows 11 was just created:

Add support for Windows 11 · Issue #12585 · nvaccess/nvda (github.com)

Apart from that, I hereby announce that Windows 10 App Essentials will be renamed to “Windows App Essentials” the day Windows 11 is released. The biggest reason is that Windows 11 includes user interface tweaks on top of enhanced Windows 10 technologies (subject to confirmation once Insider Preview build is released), therefore it makes sense to rename the add-on while keeping its core code intact. To acknowledge its origins (improving Windows 10 usage and feature access for NVDA users) and for backward compatibility, the internal add-on identifier will remain “wintenApps”, with the add-on update key being the same (w10). I’ll talk about support duration for Windows 11 releases once more details emerge this summer.

Cheers,

Joseph