Re: Is doing a completely clean install of windows 10 screen reader accessible?

Arlene

Thanks, if I wanted to get rid of this computer I’d follow your instructions and scrub it right clean. I’ll write this down for the future or if I want to help someone else who has windows ten.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Felix G.
Sent: June 26, 2021 12:18 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Is doing a completely clean install of windows 10 screen reader accessible?

Hi,

in the context of a clean install, it won't just start the

installation after downloading. Downloading is performed with the

Media Creation Tool, which is the app Microsoft provides for creating

your installation media, which would usually be a flash drive. When

that has concluded, you can reboot from that flash drive to actually

install Windows, in the most extreme case repartitioning and

reformatting your hard drive beforehand, which is the way to delete

absolutely everything on the machine and get a super clean install if

that's indeed what you want.

Rebooting from your flash drive may be tricky and may require sighted

help depending on your UEFI.

Once booted, if the installer detects your sound card, it will give

you an audible welcome message as far as I remember. You may then

press ctrl+Windows+enter to start Narrator. If you don't hear

anything, your sound hardware might not have been detected. A solution

is to plug in a USB headset then try to start Narrator. Note that it

has to be a USB one as the installer comes with generic drivers for

that. For me this worked in three out of three cases.

Best,

Felix