Re: NVDA crashes

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 01:24 PM, Gene wrote:
Whether you would say that using Windows 7 itself makes the topic improper for discussion, I of course don’t know
-
It is.   The group rules have stated, in bold, italic, and underlined text for quite a while now:

Unsupported versions of any software may only be discussed on the Chat Subgroup, not the main NVDA Group.

Windows:  Only Windows 8.1 and currently supported versions of Windows 10.  Members should refer to the Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet to determine which versions of Windows are currently supported.  Information about the dates on which specific versions of Windows 10 reached or will reach their end of service dates is listed there as well and will be updated as new versions are released.

Note that it is acceptable to direct a user to the NVAccess or Microsoft sites where older versions can be downloaded, however, this is different than supporting a specific version of software or operating system.

NVDA:  NVDA has, at any given time, a single version under active support.  If a question arises about how to update to that version, and you’re on an earlier version, that will be permitted as transition problems can occasionally occur.

====
Windows 7 is out of support.  It no longer remains a long-term solid ecosystem under which to run anything in contact with cyberspace, and I don't know of anyone here who isn't doing email, web browsing, etc.  It's also virtually certain that sooner or later NVDA is no longer going to be compatible with Windows 7.

We have a venue where members who wish to have discussions regarding anything within the realm of civil discourse (and that includes Windows 7, or other out of support software) may do so with others who are potentially interested in engaging in same:  The Chat Subgroup.

NVDA Chat Subgroup Archive:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/chat/topics

NVDA Chat Subgroup Addresses

To join:  chat+subscribe@nvda.groups.io

To post:  chat@nvda.groups.io

To receive a message containing the group description, and a list of these commands:  chat+help@nvda.groups.io

To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the Web):  chat+nomail@nvda.groups.io

This can also be used to put a vacation stop on group messages, then use one of the addresses below to resume delivery in the format of your choice.

To receive each group messages individually:  chat+single@nvda.groups.io

This is the default delivery unless you send a message to one of the addresses that follows.

To receive group messages in an HTML formatted digest:  chat+fulldigest@nvda.groups.io

To receive group messages in a plain text digest:  chat+digest@nvda.groups.io

To receive a daily summary instead of individual messages:  chat+summary@nvda.groups.io

To receive only special messages:  chat+special@nvda.groups.io