Re: Websites that determine where NVDA starts at

Sarah k Alawami

That does not  always work. Most things that open in the same page cannot be opened in another window or tab.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2021 7:02 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Websites that determine where NVDA starts at

You should be able to solve the problem by causing the page you want to work with to open in a new window.  For example, when you are using search, write the search item and instead of pressing enter, press shift enter.  That opens the results page in a new window.  When you have finished working with it, close the new window with alt f4.  You are now back on the page where you were and you should be in exactly the same place you were because the page has been opened all the time in another window and you did nothing to change your position.

I can’t test that here because I don’t see the banner, looking at the page from the United states, but whatever the cause, this method should work around the problem.

Sent: Monday, June 21, 2021 8:49 AM

I apologise for not specifying the exact page. It is https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/

I notice it when I activate Groceries, which seems to change the page but the address remains as https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/

I think it is exactly what Chris says, the EU's GDPR banner seizing focus. If I search for an item and then add it to my basket, then go back to the main Groceries page, the focus jumps to the GDPR banner about cookies, which appears right at the bottom of the page.

As I say, it's not a major hastle to jump back to the top of the page or to press shift+e to jump to the previous search field, it's just an annoyance to be taken down to that cookie banner every time I have to go back to that page. Anybody who also pays attention to the TAVIP blind computer discussion  group will also recall that Sainsbury's have been messing around with their website, but they have been listening to difficulties that TAVIP members have expressed, which is good to hear.

Giles