Re: cannot check boxes.

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 05:18 PM, Jackie wrote:
a move mouse to navigator object, & then a left mouse click.
-
Just curious if you mean a literal left mouse click or a screen-reader emulated left mouse click?

The reason I ask is a way of addressing Gene's questions, but indirectly.  It has been my observation, regardless of the screen reader involved, that emulated mouse clicks are not anywhere near to reliable.

I can't count the number of times over the years where a route mouse to navigator object has been issued, focus has changed (I most often have some sort of focus highlight on if I'm working with a screen reader, even when with a client, because movement in the virtual cursor very often "does not track" with where I'd expect to be next gaining focus), but the emulated click does nothing.  Most often a literal left click from the mousepad or mouse itself will.  This is the main reason I keep saying that there is very good reason to either mask the thumbpad that lets you move the mouse on a laptop, or tape over the tracking laser on an optical mouse, so that you have access to a real left and right click.  It sometimes makes the difference between success and failure in activating certain controls.  And, no, I have yet to decipher any sort of pattern that would indicate which will or won't work with a screen reader emulated mouse click.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

~ Brian Vogel

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.