Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2021 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] cannot check boxes.

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 05:18 PM, Jackie wrote:
a move mouse to navigator object, & then a left mouse click.
-
Just curious if you mean a literal left mouse click or a screen-reader emulated left mouse click?

The reason I ask is a way of addressing Gene's questions, but indirectly.  It has been my observation, regardless of the screen reader involved, that emulated mouse clicks are not anywhere near to reliable.

I can't count the number of times over the years where a route mouse to navigator object has been issued, focus has changed (I most often have some sort of focus highlight on if I'm working with a screen reader, even when with a client, because movement in the virtual cursor very often "does not track" with where I'd expect to be next gaining focus), but the emulated click does nothing.  Most often a literal left click from the mousepad or mouse itself will.  This is the main reason I keep saying that there is very good reason to either mask the thumbpad that lets you move the mouse on a laptop, or tape over the tracking laser on an optical mouse, so that you have access to a real left and right click.  It sometimes makes the difference between success and failure in activating certain controls.  And, no, I have yet to decipher any sort of pattern that would indicate which will or won't work with a screen reader emulated mouse click.

      ~ Brian Vogel