Re: cannot check boxes.

Gene

I’m not disagreeing that people need to know how to use more than one browser and screen-reader for such situations.  It isn’t difficult to know other browsers or screen-readers to the extent necessary for that purpose. 

I’m saying that, in a case like this, where a major site is not usable by a widely used screen-reader and browser or class of browsers, that site is not accessible.  I’m not talking about some minor function, I’m talking about not usable for one or more major functions.
If you have a different definition of accessible than the recognized one, that’s a different question.  but if Amazon argued that its site is accessible because it works with Firefox and JAWS even if it doesn’t work with NVDA and Chrome-based browsers that isn’t accessibility.  It can be used but it isn’t properly accessible. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2021 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] cannot check boxes.

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 07:24 PM, Gene wrote:
But the definition of accessible is not stated in such a way that a site that works with Firefox and not with chrome-based browsers would be considered accessible.
-
But the reality is that some sites do, or do not, play well with a given class of browser.  And just because they don't play well with one does not make them inaccessible in any meaningful way.

I don't give a damn about what the abstract definition of accessible might be.  I understand that in real life even software that has been developed with virtually any accessibility standard you can think of in mind will rarely hit a snag under specific circumstances, and those are, while not exactly common, not uncommon in regard to websites and web browsers.

This isn't about the semantics of accessibility on my side, but practical considerations based on real world experiences.  The definition of accessibility seems to be what you've been and continue to be focused on.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

~ Brian Vogel

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.