Re: cannot check boxes.

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 08:14 PM, Jackie wrote:
The problem is that sometimes employers don't allow installation of
anything but their permitted apps, & if that combination doesn't work,
then the person involved is screwed, to use the polite & edited
version.

Jackie, I've been there, done that, got the T-shirt as far as jumping in as an advocate in this sort of situation.

An employer can legitimately decline to diverge from their IT department's set configuration provided they don't expect you to do the thing that standard configuration precludes.  But, if it's a part of your job function, if they try to take it away from you (and have not from others who are sighted) then one can, and should, complain loudly about workplace discrimination.

But, the above being said, I really have found that the squeaky wheel gets the grease provided it isn't a wildly disruptive squeaky wheel.  I can't say that it's easy, because it's not, but it's far from impossible to get waivers with regard to technology that falls under the umbrella of reasonable accommodations.  And if you don't fight for it, it's definitely not going to happen.

One of the most miserable things about being "out of the mainstream" in virtually any way, blindness specifically here, is that you are constantly called upon to be an advocate for yourself not because people are malicious, but because they're entirely ignorant.  It's something you just can't get away from, and if you don't or won't do it, no one else is going to because they don't have a clue.

      ~ Brian Vogel