There are a couple of reasons why this might
happen. Either your NVDA shortcut on the desktop has been
deleted, or it's been edited so the control+alt+n shortcut key
doesn't work (less likely accidentally).
So, first of all, can you get NVDA running? If not, are
you sure it's the shortcut that's not working, and not say,
your speakers? (Just trying to cover all the bases here).
Assuming it's the shortcut, if you need to start NVDA,
press the windows key, type NVDA, and press ENTER and that
should just about always work.
1) With NVDA running, press WINDOWS+d to minimise
everything and go to the desktop.
2) Press N to move to the first item on the desktop
beginning with N.
3) If the first item isn't NVDA, keep pressing N until you
get to NVDA. If you get back to the first item without
getting to NVDA, skip to the next instructions.
IF you didn't get to NVDA:
4) Press the windows key and type NVDA (don't press enter)
5) Press the applications key to open the context menu.
6) Activate "Open file location". A File Explorer window
opens with the focus on NVDA.
7) Press the applications key to open the context menu.
8) Press N until the focus is on "Send to".
9) Select "Desktop" and press ENTER.
10) Press WINDOWS+D to move to the desktop, and press N
until you get to NVDA.
So, either way, now you should have an NVDA icon on the
desktop and the focus should be on it. Next, to add the
1) Press ALT+ENTER to open the properties for the shortcut.
2) Tab twice to "Shortcut key"
3) Press CONTROL+ALT+N. This sequence should now appear in
the shortcut key edit box.
4) Press ENTER to activate the OK button and close the
5) Press CONTROL+ALT+N. NVDA should now start or restart.