Re: Running NVDA on a MacBook with BootCamp or similar?

Guy Schlosser

Hey Luke, as long as your Mac is an Intel-based Mac, you will have no problem running NVDA with windows 10 on BootCamp. Although my primary screenreader of choice is jaws, I am familiar with NVDA, and do follow this list. I think you’ll find that most max running on Boot Camp run better than most Windows PC‘s. your NVDA modifier can be said to caps, and you can also use an external keyboard if you need to. If you have any questions, or need a little assistance, you are more than welcome to mail me off list.

Guy

On Jul 9, 2021, at 12:31 AM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

Hmph interesting.

Obviously your work spares no expence, macs are powerhhouses.

However, maybe ask them nicely if you can please use a standard pc instead unless of course they want to develop on macs.

If not ask them to buy vmware workstation and run that or the playeror fusion or something but really you probably will want a windows pc.

On 9/07/2021 10:29 am, lukelistservs@... wrote:

Hi,

I consulted Google before sending this but I only came across this situation for NVDA testing purposes so I don’t want to presume that information also applies to the end user experience. I accepted a new developer job and found out today my new employer is shipping me a MacBook Pro as my work computer. This was surprising considering we’ll be developing in C#.Net in Visual Studio, an IDE for which I do not believe there is even a Mac version at this time. Sounds like we’ll be using BootCamp or something similar. I have zero experience with Macs and am terrified this is going to be a huge and unexpected learning curve that will slow down my onboarding. Anyway, is it possible to use NVDA in a Windows mode of Mac and does it work just like on a real PC? One of those articles I skimmed mentioned that the Mac doesn’t have an Insert key, the default NVDA key and that there might be some other keyboard discrepancies, but I would plan on just connecting an external Windows-style keyboard anyway, provided that will work. Any reassurance, tips or guidance on this would be hugely appreciated. I’ve already resigned from my current company and will be starting the new job in two weeks so I’m kind of freaking out right now, Ha.

Thank you,

Luke