Re: DECtalk Add-on for NVDA

Michael Micallef at FITA

I agree with Gene 100% the only dectalk version that is available is a hardware based in a usb versio, and its not cheap and because I never heard it I don’t know about its speech quality compared with the dectalk of the venerable window-eyes.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, 10 July 2021 02:01
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] decktalk addon for nvda

CAUTION: This email originated from OUTSIDE the Government Email Infrastructure. DO NOT CLICK LINKS or OPEN attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

As far as I know, there is no legal Dectalk add-on at least not one that sounds at all like what would be expected.  I don’t know if it is possible to purchase Dectalk as a stand alone synthesizer, such as a SAPI 5 synthesizer, but I’ve never heard of that either.

You may be able to get more information about the legal ability to purchase Dectalk with a search but I’ve been on this list since the rather early days of NVDA, and I think there would have been information on the list before this if there were a legal add-on, and a legal way to ;purchase Dectalk, at least at anything like a reasonable price, given the interest in Dectalk.

Years ago, someone who worked with Dectalk provided a legal version of Dectalk but it was evidently very old and it sounded very different than the Dectalk people expect.