Re: Running NVDA on a MacBook with BootCamp or similar?

simon wheatcroft

Without going to far off topic…

The key mappings is the issue. You have to write your own keyboard layout and then compile it for the architecture. I have it for the MacBook Air keyboard layout. Happy to share but as in previous post trying not to go to far off topic. I just wanted to point out that it does work.

On 10 Jul 2021, at 20:49, V Stuart Foote <vstuart.foote@...> wrote:

Folks,

So for a non-Intel x86 based M1 ARM instruction set Apple desktop or laptop, this currently will require Parallels and a not quite legal copy of the ARM 64 flavor of Windows 10 preview to run as a guest OS.

There will be no "Bootcamp" mode to support ARM 64 Windows running natively--so it has to be a hosted virtual machine.

For now options to Paralles do not exist, VM Ware's Fusion is not going to support the ARM 64 flavor of Windows -- until Microsoft clarifies the licensing situation.

But, for a hosted ARM 64 flavor of Windows there is no reason to expect that NVDA would not function.

But Key mappings will be a challenge -- the mix of native macOS shortcuts & accelerators, nsAccessibility, and those shortcuts/accellerator allocated to the guest os, and finally any NVDA specific mappings.

Quite a bit to sort through. Your milage may vary (YMMV)  with your patience, good luck!

Stuart