Re: OpenOffice?

Hmmm so office xp though quite old does work?
That for me may be a solution, I do not need office's crazy crazyness that has been going.
office xp is old and insecure but the cd was brought by my highschool for me, and that cd was given to me, the code was given to me and it is mine.
To be honest though if someone offered me office I may still take it.
My dad has office on the home use program from his work 2013 2016 and 2010 as he upgraded from those.
Technically I could get his old ones, its not exactly legal but I am not posting company keys and no one is the wiser.
I will have to reset office 2010 and maybe other keys on ms support and such but it may be the way to go.
It does appear that www.cheapaussiesoftware.com where I get some stuff has office volumes they sell off piecemeal.
You can still buy office 2007 for round 200 bucks.
In fact the only full prices are the latest versions.
I am seriously thinking of either 2010 or 2007 if I have to buy.
I don't need the latest I do wish we had an office program that worked though that was not ms.
I don't use tables, in fact the only reason I use jarte is to read incoming doc docx or rtf documents.
Jarte is a liteweight word processer based on the wordpad engine, its not office it states this.
I mostly use html, audio and other things.
The nature of my work though does not involve an office app.
Now if only libre or openoffice can work without hassle because I was really hoping I could go for either of those packages.
Right now I could probably go for a new version of office but thats assuming its only 2-300 bucks so it will have to be cracked, old or just not new.
That assumes that something like an external hdd doesn't break or something.
As of now, one of my phone units is on the way out, I am looking to a range of between 70 to 20 dollars, so thats potentially 100 bucks I can't use for things.
And while I have forked out on small things like a few games and music things, I need to fork out cash for one of the networked workstations.
I have just this year forked out cash on 2 drives that died and a new keyboard.
I fell into that trap last year when my phone died as well as another drive which itself then died promptly after I got it.
I also need to update one of my hubs because the hardware on my wrig just doesn't have the power to run with the full use of the hub.
Living at home does help and will help for a bit but I really want to avoid core upgrades, its one reason I have not moved from win10 just yet but who knows if and when I get my laptop, I may spend the oem cost to get a key for the unit's whatever office its got loaded.
I realise it will be firmware tied but oh well that may be better than nothing.

Symphony was the core code which libra and Open are based around as far
as I know.
Jarte has issues with tables.
I recently was sent tabular word doc and it ended up as one big lump of
text, which in some ways is fine, but I hate to imagine what that might
look like when printed out in Jarte.

Believe it or not even word 2002 seems to work in windows 10 as long as
you put sp 3 in as well.

I said this before. I personally feel that Microsoft makes changes for
changes sake in office suites. OK the newer file formats can be useful
but to me they are just a bolt on and ribbon menus were a step back for
people who want to work logically from hierarchical menus.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-