From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, 15 July 2021 13:48
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Journal Software

CAUTION: This email originated from OUTSIDE the Government Email Infrastructure. DO NOT CLICK LINKS or OPEN attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

How would you want past entries to be searched?  I’ve never looked into journal software.  If I am keeping a list of entries on a subject and adding more over time, I place a phrase such as next entry on a line by itself before every new one.  I then use Notepad’s find command to move from entry to entry and, by reading a bit of each entry, perhaps the first line or less, I can very quickly determine if I want to read the past entry.  You also might want to keep a key word describing each or certain entries for fast reference, such as Next entry music or concerts or something that will tell you what the entry is about.

I use notepad just because it’s a very light weight program and I don’t benefit from a word processor in such a context.  I’m also more used to opening Notepad than another word processor but what you use is, of course your decision and if you want a light weight word processor, Word;pad is already on the machine, and there are other possibilities such as JARTE.

If you are worried about division by year, just write the name of the year on its own line when it changes such as 2022

I’d be interested in what journal writing programs offer.  But what I’m describing meets my needs when I’m doing something that is or is like a journal or a series I’m saving on a topic I’m interested in such as a number of articles on the same subject.